Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From MichaelA: 28mm Cannibals & Cooking Pot (100 points)



Michaeal treats us with another beautifly creative vignette for which he is becoming well known. This time it's a group of cannibals and Mandrills in their 'Heart of Darkness' themed Smeg kitchen.

From Michael:
I'm falling behind again due to an unfortunately timed manic spell at work; that said I have managed to clear the attached from the painting queue.  Whilst I was never going to challenge the awesome turnout of the top tier of extraordinarily fast painters, I have looked to consistently challenge myself to produce the best and most imaginative work I am capable of - perhaps looking to scoop up one of the prizes in the sub categories.  
To that end perhaps these could be considered my entry for the non military category?  They are part of North Star Miniatures 'extreme' cannibal range and painted to loosely represent the Azande of the Congo.  

Some time ago I was gifted a flashing blinky LED from Dave D (One man & his brushes) who cruelly sowed the seed for this infernal project, daring me to use it under a cooking pot to give the effect of the burning embers - challenge accepted Dave!  
The pot itself was all scratch built using bits and pieces but primarily built around a table tennis ball - the top sliced off and inverted to form a 'tray' into which I put greenstuff, beads and ball bearings to represent bubbles and a plastic zombie's arm as the final, macabre gesture of the latest victim! 
The Mandrill guardians were also from Northstar and started life as baboons before a little snip and a bit of greenstuff completed their conversion.  I must try to figure out how to take better photographs to illustrate the flames but in the interim I have included one that gives a little of the flavour of the piece - no pun intended!
So that's 5 cannibals, 2 Mandrills, a set of jungle drums and a giant bubbling pot of stew - could things get any stranger?  


Wow, this is phenomenal work Michael! I've always been a great admirier of your vignettes and this one certainly does not disappoint. I had to smile when I saw your Mandrills as they reminded me of Phil's marvelous pink-arsed baboons from last year's Challenge.

Thank you for treating us with this wonderfully creative work.

This vignette with all its glorious boogey-masked, nose-pierced, blue-arsed detail will give Michael 100 points. Bravo and well done!

17 comments:

  1. Well I have to say that is pretty cool.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to say it was looking pretty hot rather than cool - must be that flashing LED under the pot.

      Pip pip

      Delete
  2. fantastic work you are def the man for a vignette.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, quite original and really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Michael, but I think it needs a little more salt and pepper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff. The creativity is stellar. It reminds me of something Noel Coward once said, about how missionaries are God's gift to hungry cannibals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work. Amazing conversion and painting. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing! Really like the mandrills and the whole diorama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creativity with vignettes continues to astonish. Never mind the points mate, these are works of art. Absolutely gobsmackingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments and such a giggle to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quiet an impressive entry... Thumbs up big time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's as clever as it is fantastic, you da man!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really fantastic, especially the lit fire under the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool and those masks are great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. A stunning piece Michael.. just bloody marvelous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)